Oh my goodness! It's been far too long since our last blog update. I think about it often, but haven't been able to garner the mental energy needed to update it. However today I'm feeling slightly more inspired. Blame it on the Christmas music in the background making me feel sentimental or the kitty snuggling with me under a pile of blankets, but most of all blame it on the fact that it is SNOWING IN NEW ORLEANS!
We've had a few visitors to the great South over the last couple of months and it so exciting to have them. Back in October we had great fun when Matt Sgroi came into town from Sweden for Ben Jerhing's wedding here in town. Jim and Gerry Sgroi also made it down from South Bend for the event and we were able to see everyone a fair amount. The five of us took a day and went to one of the local Plantations, Houmas House. It was beautifully maintained with stunning gardens. There was a giant oak tree that is over 500 years old. We even saw in the kitchen on the tour that their Stove was made in South Bend, IN maybe a 100 years ago. Quite the coincidence! 
We a had few more trick or treaters for Halloween this year. We're never quite sure what to expect since Katrina wiped out so many people. Our neighborhood changes daily. Mike was feeling inspired and got our fog machine. He blasted the kids with fog as they came up to the door for candy. And then we got out some green glowing ice cubes for our adult beverages. It was pretty entertaining!
Thanksgiving seemed to follow quickly and we had even more visitors thanks to the Brewer/Reinhardt crew. Carolyn's Uncle Mike stayed with us later followed by Liz Brewer and eventually Sarah Engles. How fun to see everyone! The Reinhardts, Brewers, Pingels, and Ronaynes plus a few all enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving meal at the Ronaynes. But I think our favorite part of the day was hanging out in the warm (slightly rainy) weather on the Reinhardts back porch. Mike grilled some fantastic shrimp and I brought some cheese and crackers. We all sat around relaxing and enjoying one another's company. Mike and I were laughing that this year Thanksgiving seemed very relaxed when we realized that for the last 6 years we've done at least 2 full meals. :)
We're onto to Christmas plans now. The house is officially finished being decorated. That always takes me a couple of days. And our Christmas party plans are in full swing. Mike and I have enjoyed our research on what should be our feature drinks of the party this year. We've done more trials with guests and gotten their opinions too! (Although no one's opinion means too much after a couple of drinks!)
Soon after the party we will be on our to South Bend where we will be for Christmas this year. We're excited to have a good two weeks to try to see people and catch up. And we can't wait of course for Sean and Gretchen's wedding. But I can't say that we're looking forward to two weeks of cold weather. We're spoiled by the South this time of year. Yes, it is snowing now, but it will 75 in a couple of days!
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Thanksgiving and such
Posted by Angela at 9:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hi you guys, I know it's been a really (really) long time since we've talked, but I hope all is well! It doesn't seem that long for me since I've keeping up with what your doing through the blog, modern technology is a marvelous thing! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
Sincerly, Alicia Hochstetler
Post a Comment